1. Quadrilatero J, Alway SE, Dupont-Versteegden EE. Skeletal muscle apoptotic response to physical activity: potential mechanisms for protection. Applied physiology, nutrition, and metabolism. 2011;36(5):608-17.
2. Won S-H, Lee H-J, Jeong S-J, Lee H-J, Lee E-O, Jung D-B, et al. Tanshinone IIA induces mitochondria dependent apoptosis in prostate cancer cells in association with an inhibition of phosphoinositide 3-kinase/AKT pathway. Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin. 2010;33(11):1828-34.
3. Sun Y, Cui D, Zhang Z, Zhang T, Shi J, Jin H, et al. Attenuated oxidative stress following acute exhaustive swimming exercise was accompanied with modified gene expression profiles of apoptosis in the skeletal muscle of mice. Oxidative medicine and cellular longevity. 2016;2016.
4. Li S, Liu J, Yan H. Medium-intensity acute exhaustive exercise induces neural cell apoptosis in the rat hippocampus. Neural regeneration research. 2013;8(2):127.
5. Cooper DM. The balance between life and death: defining a role for apoptosis in aging. J Clin Exp Pathol. 2012;4:001.
6. Woods JA, Wilund KR, Martin SA, Kistler BM. Exercise, inflammation and aging. Aging and disease. 2012;3(1):130.
7. Huang H-Y, Appel LJ, Croft KD, Miller ER, Mori TA, Puddey IB. Effects of vitamin C and vitamin E on in vivo lipid peroxidation: results of a randomized controlled trial. The American journal of clinical nutrition. 2002;76(3):549-55.
8. Gomez-Cabrera MC, Salvador-Pascual A, Cabo H, Ferrando B, Vina J. Redox modulation of mitochondriogenesis in exercise. Does antioxidant supplementation blunt the benefits of exercise training? Free radical biology and medicine. 2015;86:37-46.
9. Khosravi A, OmidAli F. The Effect of Saffron Stigmas Aqueous Extracts on Serum Cardiac Troponin T and Creatine Kinase MB Isoenzyme of Male Rats Following an Exhaustive Exercise. Journal of Arak University of Medical Sciences. 2018;21(2):43-54.
10. Rezaee R, Hosseinzadeh H. Safranal: from an aromatic natural product to a rewarding pharmacological agent. Iranian journal of basic medical sciences. 2013;16(1):12.
11. Sadoughi SD. Effect of Crocin on Bax/Bcl-2 Ratio, Lipid Peroxidation and Antioxidant Enzymes Activity in Liver Tissue of Chick Embryo Treated with Silver Nanoparticles. Quarterly of Horizon of Medical Sciences. 2017;23(4):293-9. eng.
12. Elsherbiny NM, Salama MF, Said E, El-Sherbiny M, Al-Gayyar MM. Crocin protects against doxorubicin-induced myocardial toxicity in rats through down-regulation of inflammatory and apoptic pathways. Chemico-biological interactions. 2016;247:39-48.
13. Razavi M, Hosseinzadeh H, Abnous K, Motamedshariaty VS, Imenshahidi M. Crocin restores hypotensive effect of subchronic administration of diazinon in rats. Iranian journal of basic medical sciences. 2013;16(1):64.
14. Mirzaei B, khosravi a, rasoulian b, mehrabani j. Comparing the effects of acute exhaustive exercise on cardiac troponin T serum and malondialdehyde of heart tissue response levels of endurance trained young rats. 2. 2013;5(9):16-24. eng.
15. Belviranlı M, Gökbel H, Okudan N, Büyükbaş S. Effects of grape seed polyphenols on oxidative damage in liver tissue of acutely and chronically exercised rats. Phytotherapy Research. 2013;27(5):672-7.
16. Singh J. Maceration, percolation and infusion techniques for the extraction of medicinal and aromatic plants. Extraction Technologies for Medicinal and Aromatic Plants. 2008:67.
17. Rameshrad M, Razavi BM, Hosseinzadeh H. Saffron and its derivatives, crocin, crocetin and safranal: a patent review. Expert opinion on therapeutic patents. 2018;28(2):147-65.
18. Siahkohian M, Asgharpour-Arshad M, Bolboli L, Jafari A, Hesari FS. Effect of 12-weeks aerobic training on some indices of skeletal muscle apoptosis in male rats. Majallah-i pizishki-i Danishgah-i Ulum-i Pizishki va Khadamat-i Bihdashti-i Darmani-i Tabriz. 2018 Feb 1;39(6):35-43.
19. Martinou J-C. Apoptosis: key to the mitochondrial gate. Nature. 1999;399(6735):411.
20. Bijeh N, Hosseini SA, Hejazi K. The effect of aerobic exercise on serum C-reactive protein and leptin levels in untrained middle-aged women. Iranian journal of public health. 2012;41(9):36.
21. Jenkins R, Friedland R, Howald H. The relationship of oxygen uptake to superoxide dismutase and catalase activity in human skeletal muscle. International journal of sports medicine. 1984;5(01):11-4.
22. Krüger K, Mooren FC. Exercise-induced leukocyte apoptosis. Exercise immunology review. 2014;20.
23. Milajerdi A, Bitarafan V, Mahmoudi M. A review on the effects of saffron extract and its constituents on factors related to neurologic, cardiovascular and gastrointestinal diseases. 2015.
24. Samarghandian S, Borji A. Anticarcinogenic effect of saffron (Crocus sativus L.) and its ingredients. Pharmacognosy research. 2014;6(2):99.
25. Peterson JM, Bryner RW, Sindler A, Frisbee JC, Alway SE. Mitochondrial apoptotic signaling is elevated in cardiac but not skeletal muscle in the obese Zucker rat and is reduced with aerobic exercise. Journal of applied physiology. 2008.
26. Song W, Kwak H-B, Lawler JM. Exercise training attenuates age-induced changes in apoptotic signaling in rat skeletal muscle. Antioxidants & redox signaling. 2006;8(3-4):517-28.
27. McMillan EM, Graham DA, Rush JW, Quadrilatero J. Decreased DNA fragmentation and apoptotic signaling in soleus muscle of hypertensive rats following 6 weeks of treadmill training. American Journal of Physiology-Heart and Circulatory Physiology. 2012.
28. Vainshtein A, Kazak L, Hood DA. Effects of endurance training on apoptotic susceptibility in striated muscle. American Journal of Physiology-Heart and Circulatory Physiology. 2011.
29. Adhihetty PJ, Taivassalo T, Haller RG, Walkinshaw DR, Hood DA. The effect of training on the expression of mitochondrial biogenesis-and apoptosis-related proteins in skeletal muscle of patients with mtDNA defects. American Journal of Physiology-Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2007.
30. Fang J, Wu L, Chen L. Postconditioning attenuates cardiocyte ultrastructure injury and apoptosis by blocking mitochondrial permeability transition in rats. Acta cardiologica. 2008;63(3):377-87.
31. Marzetti E, Lawler JM, Hiona A, Manini T, Seo AY, Leeuwenburgh C. Modulation of age-induced apoptotic signaling and cellular remodeling by exercise and calorie restriction in skeletal muscle. Free Radical Biology and Medicine. 2008;44(2):160-8.
32. Siu PM, Bryner RW, Martyn JK, Alway SE. Apoptotic adaptations from exercise training in skeletal and cardiac muscles. The FASEB journal. 2004;18(10):1150-2.
33. Koçtürk S, Kayatekin B, Resmi H, Açıkgöz O, Kaynak C, Özer E. The apoptotic response to strenuous exercise of the gastrocnemius and solues muscle fibers in rats. European journal of applied physiology. 2008;102(5):515-24.
34. Liu J, Hu Y, Zhang H, Xu Y, Wang G. Exenatide treatment increases serum irisin levels in patients with obesity and newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes. Journal of Diabetes and its Complications. 2016;30(8):1555-9.